I just sat down in bed to relax for the first time today, and I thought to myself, "I don't remember waking up this morning." Then I realized why. I didn't go to sleep last night. True story. Ben went in to work some overtime late last night. I opened the computer right after he left, a little before eleven and saw the breaking news of the earthquake in Japan. I thought that the report of 8.9 must have been a mistake because I had been watching tv, and their hadn't been any news interruptions. The local news had just ended, so I turned to CNN and became glued to the tv. What a horrific thing! My heart aches for all of those who are affected by the earthquakes and tsunamis. I am amazed though at how little damage was done in Tokyo (all things considered) and at how prepared they were. I definitely think that we could all learn a lesson from the Japanese.
I watched CNN until Ben got home at 4am. We watched a little more together then watched the entire recorded Thursday night lineup. By the time that was all over, it was morning and kids were awake.
After a very noisy night, Miles seems to be doing well. Coney is still really congested though, so I decided I better take him in. If Miles had strep, I at least wanted to get Coney tested, so he could get on antibiotics if necessary. For once, the symptoms did not disappear the second that I walked into the doctor's office. In fact, Conan hadn't had a fever until we got to the doctor's office. Plus, he had a hacking cough to prove his sickness with. After Dr. Ditty examined him and did some tests, he determined that Conan does not have either strep or pneumonia like brother. He has an upper respiratory infection. Unfortunately, there's not too much to do for that. They did give Coney his first breathing treatment. He's had albuterol via inhaler, but this was his first, first-hand experience with a nebulizer. He was actually really good at it. They didn't use the mask. Rather, I think the goal was just the blow by method. That's basically just the adult method with the far end of the tubing plugged. Conan held the percolator himself and even kept the mouthpiece in his mouth. What a smart baby! The treatment did improve things immediately. He's asleep now though, and he's not sounding so good. When he wakes up maybe I'll try another treatment.
As I was about to leave the doctor's office, Dr. Ditty said, "Hey, you have my cell phone number, don't you?" I didn't know that mom's could have doctors' cell phone numbers. That sounds like the best day ever for me and a giant mistake for Dr. Ditty. I'm already paranoid about my children's' health. Now I have their doctor at my disposal all the time. Just kidding. I'll be nice. I think that he made sure that I had it since we're going into the weekend, and I think that he knows that I don't feel entirely comfortable with other doctors that aren't well-versed in my children's' health problems. He knows what it up, and he knows that we've been burned by doctors that just don't get it. Anyway, he told me to give him a call if things get worse with either baby. And "tell Miles hi for me". What a nice guy.
Well, I think it's time for me to finally go to sleep. It's been a while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment