Sunday, July 24, 2011

I was on facebook this evening, and I just happened to click on the blog link for a high school friend. I thought it was a blog link anyway. It turns out that it was more of a carepage/journal of her son's fight with cancer. I haven't kept in touch with this friend in a meaningful way at all since high school, and I did not know that she had a child with cancer. I read a little bit, and I believe he was diagnosed with brain cancer when he was 7. After excessive treatment, it was all but taken care of. Unfortunately, it later returned, but after more treatment, a routine mri showed it had disappeared. However, his last mri, earlier this month, showed it had come back really aggressively, and there is no treatment for it. Her little boy was put on hospice and given 1-2 months to live. I think it took me about a half hour to read the page long post because I was crying so hard.

Since Miles was diagnosed with CHD, we've known that there is that possibility that he wouldn't always be with us. Shone's kids do not have super great life expectancies. Thankfully, Miles' condition has not progressed (negatively) much at all since his initial OHS. For a Shone's baby, he is relatively healthy. Still, Ben and I have had a lot of talks that parents don't want to have, planning for what ifs and what thens. It's never been easy, but it's been manageable....at this point anyway. I can't imagine being told that my child has only a certain amount of time left to live. What would you do? I can't think of anything worse.

When I read my friend's post, she was happy. They had been in Legoland and Disneyland, I think a last big family trip. She didn't talk about her son's sickness or how much she was going to miss him. She just wrote about the fun time they were having and the silly things her little boy had done that day. I really admire her for her attitude and bravery. I know I couldn't do that. My heart goes out to her.

I am so grateful for my boys and for their health. When I hear things like that, it makes those little things like dumping out all of the toy bins or spraying Capri Suns all over the house seem pretty insignificant. I love my babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment