I apologize for the lateness of this post. I guess that there was less sitting around time than I thought that there would be, and the surgery went more quickly than I thought it would. (also, there was a lot more Mike Tyson's Punchout occupying the computer than I anticipated)
The surgery is over! Dr. Kaza, the great heart surgeon, said that everything went very well. He said that he was amazed by how mellow Miles was. He showed us the portion of the aorta that was removed. It was pretty crazy. The aorta should be shaped as a tube with an opening that I believe he said should be about a 1/4" in diameter. What we saw was a little tube with practically no opening. You could maybe fit a pin in it. That little opening was supplying his entire lower body (kidneys, intestines, legs, etc.) with blood. Hopefully, it's fully corrected now. Dr. Kaza said that we just have to watch him close for the next 24 hours or so. The sutures reconnecting the aorta are only about as thick as a hair, so it's all pretty fragile.
From here, Miles will go to the PICU for a few days (not the 5-7 as previously told), probably two or three. Then he will be admitted to a normal room for the rest of recovery. I'm still not entirely sure what the visiting situation will be like, but we'll be sure to let you all know. What we do know is that at some point, family members will be able to visit. Two people at a time will be allowed in the room, but no one under the age of 12 is able to visit. And if anyone is sick, please don't come....for obvious reasons. You can come visit us once your not all germy. :)
Right now, we are just waiting to be able to see him ourselves. If all goes as expected, we should get in there within about a half hour. I am so excited to see my little baby!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment