Things are staying on a steady course toward recovery. He's doing so well that there is a possibility that we might be able to come home tomorrow. Originally, we were told that he'd be in the PICU alone for 5 days, so this is really reassuring. In order for this to happen, his vitals (heartrate, blood pressure, respirations, oxygen, etc. ) have to stay at certain steady levels. We were finally able to get rid of the oxygen tubes this morning. I'm sure that Miles is thrilled about that. He learned to really hate them during his last stay. I think that bothered him even more than his drainage tube. (tube that was inserted into the surgery site to drain fluid--really gross), that was also removed this morning. I'm not positive if that's going to last though because his oxygen keeps dipping down into the beeping zone (anything under 90). Really, he should maintain high 90s. His heartbeat also keeps beeping because it gets pretty high. They don't seem too concerned about that one though. It seems like blood pressure is the most important right now. The sutures that reconnected his aorta are hair thin, so it's very important that his blood pressure doesn't get too high. Otherwise, the sutures could break, and we'd be in trouble. Before he can go home, he also has to have another echo to make sure that everything looks good after the surgery and to see if there has been any changes to his other problems. I am very interested to talk to the cardiologist after this is done to see if anything has changed.
So, all in all, things are good. Miles has been in a lot of pain, but that makes complete sense, and they've got him on a combination of Lortab, Motrin, and Morphine. When he's all drugged up, he's pretty happy and playful. I have to admit, that as excited as I am to get out of here, I'm kind of terrified to take him home. Luckily, we have lots of follow-ups with everyone that can make sure that things are going well. And the cardiology department here is awesome. I've called so many times with stupid questions, and they're always great at getting me answers and taking all of my concerns seriously. We're really lucky to have such a great resource locally.
Last, but not least, I wanted to pass on some information on a fund raiser for my friends' daughter who has been here waiting for a heart since before we were last here. They have had such a roller coaster ride the past few weeks and their great attitude with their situation and their concern over ours has been such an example of strength to me. They are wonderful people, and I hope with all of my heart that their little girl receives one soon. As you can imagine, a life full of heart surgeries, long-term hospital stays, and a possible heart transplant comes with a pretty big price tag. This weekend, a yard sale + is being held to raise money. I know that they would appreciate any donations/purchases. Here's the info:
Victory for Vittoria Fundraiser:
Yard Sale, Bake Sale, Boutique, Tool Sale
Saturday, August 15th 7am-4pm
4880 W. 6040 S. Kearns
(donations can be dropped off Friday 1pm-8pm)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment