Well, thinking that we'd met our doctor's visit quota for the month last week was certainly a nice thought. Alas, it was not so.
Miles didn't have a very good sleep Wednesday night, but that wasn't really anything new. He was pretty grouchy Thursday morning, so I was quite pleased when he took a nap a little before 11 am. Sadly, it lasted less than an hour. When he woke up, I whipped up a little lunch, and we took it downstairs, so I could get some laundry done while Miles ate. Miles was too ornery to eat his lunch, and he didn't even want to play with his toys. Instead, he just sat on my lap and sulked while my attempt to fold laundry failed.
He seemed to get more tired and more clingy. He was really hot, which isn't very uncommon for him, but he was REALLY hot. I took his temperature, and he did have a little fever, but not even 101. Not a big deal, but Miles really doesn't get fevers very often. We came back upstairs, laid on the couch in the living room, and looked out the window (one of Miles' favorite activities).
After quite a while of this, we got a knock at the door. It was the next door neighbor, Andrea. She has a little girl, Avery, that is a few months younger than Miles. It was such a nice day outside. They wanted us to come out and play. I was ready to say that Miles wasn't feeling well, but as soon as the door opened, he tried to escape, and you would have never known there was ever anything wrong. We got bundled up, and went over to their yard. Miles particularly loved riding Avery's little motorized toddler four wheeler. He wasn't so great at steering, but he ran it pretty well. I may have to rethink Miles' birthday present.
After we came back in, he went right back to how he was prior to going outside.....and it just got worse. He didn't want to do anything but lay in my lap. He kept zoning out, and it really kind of worried me. I kept checking his temperature. It was ranging from 101 to 103, but it was his total lack of energy that really worried me. Obviously, with his history, I probably tend to get a little too worried about normal things, so I told myself that I wouldn't do anything other than give him Tylenol until Ben got home.
Miles was pretty much a lump by that time, but Ben assured me that he was just sick. Kids get sick. It's not always something, and we didn't need to go to the doctor's. I think that Ben was convinced that he could get him to play anyway. He tried tickling and teasing, and Miles just wasn't having it. He even tried to take him to Home Depot with him. Miles loves going places, especially with daddy, but Miles just said, "no". He only wanted to lay down and cuddle.
After another bad night and a temperature of 103.5, I decided to make an appointment. I took him in to Dr. Ditty late this morning. His listlessness had continued, and even though he was breathing well, I wanted to make sure that nothing got worse. Of course, as soon as we got to the doctor's office, and Miles saw the train set, he acted totally normal. Once we were in the exam room, he was back to the clinginess though. His temperature had gone down a little bit and he was much happier than he'd been this morning. After a good checkup, Dr. Ditty, was worried that he had strep. Not again! He said that his throat was really swollen, and his tonsils were infected. Luckily, the test came back negative. Rather the diagnosis was tonsillitis and a slight upper respiratory infection (actually more of a concern than the infected tonsils that are causing the fever).
We don't really need to do anything at this point other than watch him and give him Tylenol and Motrin. He's already a little more active than he has been, and he's actually eaten a little bit. His fever's gone way down, and he's happy and talking. He's still too tired to play toys and run around, but I think we're on our way back. My only concern at this point is the respiratory infection. It's basically just a little bit of a runny nose right now, but that's how the big problems always start. We'll just keep our fingers crossed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment