Seriously, my child has the worst timing with his sicknesses. We missed my dad's 60th birthday party, Halloween got somewhat cancelled, we couldn't go to my niece's baptism, and now no Easter. Stupid hospital stays. Actually, we aren't in the hospital right now. This time we didn't even end up staying quite 24 hours (hopefully, that means we just get charged for an er visit instead of an inpatient stay).
Miles has had a little bit of a runny nose for about a week now. I'm sorry to anyone that he has been around. I really didn't think that it was anything other than allergies because he's been happy and active. On Monday, he started acting like he might have a sore throat, but he still didn't have a fever and really wasn't acting bad, so we decided to just watch him. He seemed fine until Tuesday afternoon, and the wheezing started. It was just like it always is. I gave him a few treatments, but it didn't seem to help. After Ben got home, we doubled up on treatments, but still nothing. He sounded really awful, but he still wasn't upset at all, so it was a little confusing. He wouldn't sleep though. By this time, it was far too late to take him to PM Pediatrics, so it was the er or nothing, and I really didn't want to go to the hospital. However, I decided that if he wasn't asleep by a little after 2am, that's what we'd do. Unfortunately, with all of our medical issues and with tax season in full swing, Ben really did not have the option of missing more work, so I'd be on my own. Of course, 2am came and went, and Miles was still up and still couldn't breathe, so we were off. I would have liked to take him directly to Primary's, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that on my own, so we just went to Mtn. West.
It turns out that Miles actually has RSV. Doctors have thought that he's had it before, but he always tests negative. Not this time. He really had it. Apparently, the only real treatment for RSV is oxygen, so in addition to a couple more zopanex treatments, that's what he got. I suppose that it was good that they didn't transfer us to Primary because I'm sure if they had we would still be there. I don't know. Maybe that would be good. All I know is that despite the larger room, free guest meals, and nice staff, I would have much rather been there. I know how things work there, and I feel comfortable with it. Ii felt very uncomfortable at Mtn. West. I was so happy to be released Wednesday night. Miles had been taken off of oxygen that afternoon, and we were instructed to just keep giving him the nebulizer every six hours. They wouldn't do anything more at the hospital, so it would be kind of pointless to stay. Fine with me.
We went in this morning for his follow up. He's still pretty congested, but he's acting normal to me. Dr. Haroutunian said that he still sounds pretty bad though and to continue the zopanex for about another week. If there's still any wheezing at that point, I'll have to take him back in. With the upcoming holiday and all of the family events that go with it, I asked if he was contagious. I got a pretty stupid look. "Yes. RSV is extremely contagious. He doesn't need to touch anyone or sneeze on anyone. He can touch a chair, and if someone else touches that chair they could get it." So, no Easter? "Not if there are going to be any kids there. Miles ended up in the hospital. You wouldn't want someone else to too." Point taken. Not only are we banned from social gatherings for the holiday weekend, but apparently, he'll be contagious for a couple more weeks. Perfect. Just what we need, to be confined to our house. I was really excited about Easter too. We were going to dye eggs and go to dinner with Ben's family on Saturday. And we were going to do dinner with my family on Sunday, including an Easter egg hunt that I had planned and have all of the eggs for (coincidentally, I also had all the decor that never made it to my dad's b-day party).
Oh well. What are you going to do? Ben suggested that we go do some fun stuff out here. When I asked what, he said, "Let's go to a movie, and infect all of Tooele." Of course, he was joking, but I think he may be a little bitter because Miles always gets sick from kids out here. Keep your sick kids home from church! On a happy note, we got our tax return today. That's nice. And the bed that we want is on sale, so I think we'll get a new bed. Ours is just getting a little small for all three of us. The logical thing to do would be to make Miles sleep in either his crib or his big boy bed, but we are very lazy people, and that's hard. My goal is to get him in there by the time Henry comes. Yeah, right.
Anyhow, happy Easter to all, and I'm sorry that we won't make it out. :(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment