Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Little Early on the Terrible Twos

Ben and I had been pretty excited for Monday. We'd gotten tickets to Muse several months ago, so we'd had quite a while to look forward to the concert. We were going with Ben's brother and dad, and I was particularly excited because Ben doesn't really do much music, so it was great to find something that he loved. It was a bonus that I really like them too.



The plan was that I would just ride into Sandy with Ben and hang out at my parent's house until he was off work. My parents would watch Miles, and Ben and I would go to the concert at the E Center. It's always a little bit of a rush when Miles and I ride in with Ben because he leaves at about 7:45am. I got up to grab some clothes out of the dryer, and Miles followed me downstairs. We came up with the laundry. I got Miles dressed and started folding the rest of the clothes. Little did I know, Miles had gone back downstairs. He came waddling back into my room a few minutes later when I called him to get shoes on. That's when the nightmare began.



I looked at Miles in his new sweater and dress pants that he needed to wear for uncle Brian's wedding, and he was a mess. There was something grayish all over him. I thought maybe he'd gotten into something dusty or chalky. Then he got closer, and I saw what it actually was. His hands were covered. His sweater was covered (probably from trying to wipe his hands off). The cuffs of his pants were covered, and it looked like he'd wiped his hands in his hair as well. It was paint. Oh crap! Ben had been painting the big bedroom downstairs over the weekend, and Miles must have gotten into it. I grabbed him to try to assess the situation and saw that all the paint was dry. Hopefully, it was that way prior to him coming out of the drop cloth covered room. I ran downstairs half expecting to see little hand and foot prints all the way up my newly carpeted stairs. Luckily, I didn't see anything. I went down to the room and still couldn't really see paint. The problem was that the paint color kind of blended with the carpet. Plus, it was still too early for natural light to be shining in the basement, and we have terrible lighting down there. I hoped for the best.



Ben was going to be late, so I had to hurry and change Miles, and we got going. I told Ben about the paint and probably ruined his day. Boy was Miles going to be in for it if we found any paint when we got home. For the rest of the day, we'd just try not to think about it.



The concert was incredible! I wasn't a big fan of the opening band. It was kind of impossible to decipher a single word they sang, and I'm just not that in to that kind of music. Muse was wonderful though. They played everything, and it sounded great. I was a little concerned about what the crowd would be like. my thought was that we'd have a lot of "Twilight" kids there, but it really wasn't too bad. I was surprised at the number of really little kids (like 7 to 10) that were there with their parents. I can't imagine my parents or myself for that matter ever doing anything like that with little kids. Anyway, it was fantastic. The only downfall was my big fat pregnant self running out of steam. I only had to sit down a couple of times and never for longer than a song, but I would have preferred to have stood and been festive the whole time. Still, I think I did pretty decent for 6 months pregnant (and no dinner prior to the concert).



We stepped out of the E Center into a blizzard. When will this winter end?! Originally, we had planned to pick Miles up and go home, but the roads were bad, so I called and asked if it would be okay if he stayed the night. Ben and I were nearly halfway home already, and it would have been an extra hour of driving to pick him up in good weather. My mom said that would be fine, so we went home minus one baby. It turns out that was most likely a good thing.



As soon as we got home, Ben went straight downstairs to inspect the carpet. Very unfortunately, his eyes were much better than mine. Not only did he find three big paint spots, but he also found the painty roller still sitting on the new carpet. We went through all of our cleaners and found that Goo Gone did have an application for getting paint out of carpet. Ben scrubbed for quite a while before going angrily to bed. It was hard to tell if it had worked while it was still wet, so we just had to wait until morning.



Thank Heaven for Goo Gone! It did a really great job, but we can still see the spots. Luckily, Miles got into the paint that somewhat matched the carpet rather than the green for the other room. Right now, it still kind of looks like there are a couple of dirty spots on my carpet, but honestly, I don't think that anyone would notice it without knowing where it was. Still, it's going to bother me, so I'll probably end up covering it with a rug. Grrr.....my baby is such a stinker.


The only comfort that I have found is this. Eventually, something was bound to happen to the carpet. If it weren't Miles, it would have been Ben or myself. I'd much rather have it be my one year old son's fault than mine. Isn't that terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment